Have you ever wondered how to safely use a public toilet? I know I have. It turns out that public toilet safety is a bit different than I thought.
For years I have covered the seat using toilet paper or seat covers, if available. I thought that was enough to avoid picking up germs. Sure there are hundreds of thousands of germs on the toilet seat. But unless you have an open cut or sore on your backside, it is not highly likely that the germ village on your toilet seat will invade your privates.
However, what most people do not know is that flushing a toilet sprays microscopic particles into the air! Yuck!! This inner toilet mist can coat everything including the parts of the stall that you come in contact with the most including the toilet paper roll. And touching things close to the toilet covered in spray can quickly spread to other things like the door latch.
So here is a quick list of do’s and don’t for public toilet safety:
- Cover the toilet seat with toilet paper or a seat cover or just wipe the seat off with toilet paper. Remember to discard the next available seat cover and any directly exposed toilet paper since those have been “misted” by the prior user.
- If you are a Fresh Assist user you can spray some on the seat and wipe it off with fresh toilet paper.
- Turn your back to the toilet or exit the stall immediately upon flushing to avoid the spray zone!
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap and the hottest water available.
- When flushing the toilet, don’t touch the flusher with your hands. Use some toilet paper to cover the handle. And never sit or stand directly over the bowl when flushing!!
- Don’t touch the door latch when exiting the stall. Use toilet paper to cover the latch.
- Try not to touch the sink handles with your bare hands. Remember, someone before you just touched the handle after exiting a stall and may have left contaminants. Use a paper towel or toilet paper to turn the water on and off.
- Don’t grab the door handle to exit the bathroom. Some people don’t wash at all so the bathroom door handle is the next thing they touch after doing their business. Use another paper towel to open the door.
I may have grossed some of you out, but now that we all know what really goes on in a bathroom stall, we can all stay a little cleaner and a little safer. Oh and remember to dump all the extra paper you used to get out of the bathroom safely!
And as for keeping your privates clean, try using Fresh Assist®. It is the new way to get clean and fresh. Just spray on TP, wipe and flush! It turns your TP into a wipe. Try it now in Soothing Lavender or Cooling Chamomile.